I made this in Italy, having just returned from the open market with inspiration in my basket. You could add onions and garlic or just enjoy the marriage of these two flavors, as I did in this picture.
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. good extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh baby bella mushrooms – or any variety that looks fresh, sliced
- 10 stalks of medium/large fresh asparagus spears, sliced into 1 to 2 inch segments – on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup diced onions (optional)
- 2 cloves minced garlic, finely diced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Use a large skillet or sauté pan, placing it over medium heat before adding olive oil. If you would like to incorporate onion, add the chopped onion first. Add sliced mushrooms and toss to coat with oil. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until desired doneness, and then you can season with salt and pepper. If you are adding chopped garlic, you can add it about half-way through the mushroom cooking time. Do not add salt earlier, while mushrooms are cooking, because they will release their juices.
Add fresh cut asparagus and toss with additional salt & pepper, to taste. You may need to turn up the heat a little, and continue cooking asparagus to desired texture, about 3-5 minutes.
Remove to a side dish and serve immediately – or on a buffet a room temperature.
0 comments on “Asparagus and Mushroom side dish”Add yours →