Use fresh Grouper (or Covina fish from Costco works will with this recipe). The Corvina is large, and you should fold the thinner end under, so that the whole fish is the same thickness all the way down. For very thick filets, butterfly or cut the filets in half for more even cooking.
The topping turns crunchy and golden brown while baking in a hot oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Tbsp. soft room-temperature butter
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk (or 1 beaten egg if the egg is small)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or pressed or grated)
- 1 tsp. Coleman’s dry mustard
- 2 Tbsp. prepared Italian Pasta Spice (dried parsley, dried basil & oregano, dried tomato, red pepper flakes, granulated garlic & onion) – or add these spices individually if you don’t have the prepared seasoning blend
- 3 lb. Grouper or Corvina filet, seasoned with Lowry’s garlic salt or seasoned salt and sprinkle with a little Old Bay (before adding the Panko topping).
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine Panko and the rest of the topping ingredients, mixing very well until thoroughly combined. It is easier to combine the softened butter and mayonnaise together first, and then add the rest of the ingredients. Keep mixing with a spoon or spatula until no large chunks remain.
Drizzle a sheet pan or shallow baking dish with olive oil. Sprinkle some seasoning salt on top of the oil and then lay the fish on the oil and seasonings, rubbing it around slightly to evenly distribute on the bottom of the fish. Season the top of the fish with Lowry’s Garlic Salt or seasoned salt and a little Old Bay. Do not need pepper because of the red pepper in the topping.
Spread the prepared Panko topping across the top of the fish in a thin even layer, about 1/2 inch thick, making sure to go all the way to the edges of the fish.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish filets, until fish is JUST cooked through and the topping begins to brown.
After removing from the oven, allow it to rest for at least 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
0 comments on “Panko Topping for Fish”Add yours →